This week, 22nd-27th June is Armed Forces Week, a week designed to recognise the Armed Forces Community. The week culminates in Armed Forces Day, on Saturday 27th June and this year’s theme is #Saluteourforces. There are many online events happening to celebrate this year, including a virtual dog show and gaming tournament.
Wiltshire is often described as a military county. The former leader of Wiltshire Council, Baroness Scott of Bybrook, described it as “the beating heart of the British Armed Forces” when Salisbury hosted last year’s Armed Forces Day National Event.
To mark the week we spoke to local law firm, Goughs to find out more about its support of the armed forces.
Goughs Solicitors, which has offices throughout the county, signed a pledge to support the armed forces community.
Partner, and Head of the Armed Forces Sector, Richard Bebb tells us why Goughs Solicitors took a pledge to support the armed forces and explains what the pledge means in practice.
“As a long-established Wiltshire business, we wanted to give something back to the armed forces based in our county and beyond, and we knew that we had the expertise and personal skills which would be of great benefit them. For example:
- we have a highly experienced family law team expert in dealing with the complex issues around fair sharing of MoD pensions on divorce;
- we have acted for many Service and MoD civilian personnel in resolving disputes relating to children;
- we are no strangers to acting for serving forces members deployed overseas;
- we regularly act for clients buying their homes with the benefit of the Forces Help to Buy scheme;
- we understand the importance of appropriate Will and estate planning for service and civilian personnel;
- and, many other personal and business legal issues.
“We therefore signed up to the Armed Forces Corporate Covenant in 2015. This is a pledge to support the armed forces community and to recognise the value that serving personnel (both regular and reservist), veterans, and military families contribute to our business and our country. Our pledge, sets out our commitments to this community in detail, but the key points are:
- An initial appointment for legal advice free of charge, if necessary outside business hours
- Discounted charges for all legal work, fixed fees for certain areas of law, and complete transparency and clarity on all our fees
- Free legal advice surgeries at appropriate armed forces community locations
- Free legal seminars in the same way.”
To find out more about Goughs and the wide reaching legal services they provide for military personnel, and the benefits available, email email@example.com or call 01225 899502.
Pictured above: Partner, and Head of the Armed Forces Sector at Goughs Solicitors, Richard Bebb